Super capacitor are widely used. Combining with high energy density materials such as fuel cells, super capacitors provide fast energy release to meet high power requirements, so that fuel cells can be used only as energy sources. At present, the energy density of super capacitors can reach as high as 20 kW/kg, and they have begun to occupy the market between traditional capacitors and batteries.
The rated voltage range of super capacitor cell is 2.5-2.7V, so many super capacitor cells are needed in many applications. When connecting these units in series, the design engineer needs to consider the balance and charging between the units. If the voltage exceeds the rated voltage of the unit, the service life of the unit will be shortened. For high reliability super capacitors, how to maintain the voltage within the required range is the key point. Charging voltage must be controlled to ensure that it can not exceed the rated voltage of each unit. So there are some methods of using super capacitors as follows.
1. Super capacitors have fixed polarity. Polarity should be confirmed before use.
2. Super capacitors shall be used at nominal voltage:
When the capacitor voltage exceeds the nominal voltage, it will lead to the decomposition of electrolyte. At the same time, the capacitor will be heated, the capacity will be reduced, and the internal resistance will increase, the life will be shortened. In some cases, the performance of the capacitor will collapse.
3. Super capacitors can not be used in high-frequency charging and discharging circuits. Fast charging and discharging at high frequencies will cause internal heating, capacity attenuation, internal resistance increase, and in some cases, the performance of capacitors will collapse.
4. Storage of super capacitors:
Super capacitors can not be placed in high temperature and humidity environment. They should be stored at temperature - 30 + 50 C and relative humidity less than 60% to avoid sudden temperature rise and drop, because this will lead to product damage.
5. Usage of super capacitors on double-sided circuit boards:
When super capacitors are used on double-sided circuit boards, attention should be paid to the places where the connection can not be touched by capacitors. The installation of supercapacitors will lead to short circuit.
6. After installing the super capacitor， the capacitor should not be forced to tilt or twist, which will lead to loosening of the capacitor lead and deterioration of its performance.
7. When capacitors are used in series:
When super capacitors are used in series, there is a problem of voltage balance between the monomers. Simple series connection will lead to overvoltage of some or several monomer capacitors, which will damage these capacitors and affect their overall performance. Therefore, when the super capacitors are used in series, technical support from manufacturers is needed.
Please consult the manufacturer or refer to the relevant technical data of the instructions for the use of super capacitors for other application problems arising in the process of using super capacitors.